This section of the UC's site is intended for physics students who want to prepare a good Master's Degree thesis and face the problem of choosing a supervisor and a research subject. Here you will be informed what should be done if you are going to prepare your diploma at JINR or to come here for a practice.
But first we'd like to tell you briefly about the Institute itself and why it makes sense to come here. JINR is one of the world's largest research centres performing experimental and theoretical research in nuclear physics, elementary particle physics, condensed matter physics, and radiobiology. The Institute's activity can be shortly described as studying the microworld's fundamental properties. Here JINR made outstanding achievements – for example, in the synthesis of heavy elements: in D.I. Mendeleyev's Periodic Table of the Elements, the 105th element is called Dubnium.
In different periods, the following world-renowned scientists worked at JINR: D.I. Blokhintsev, N.N. Bogoliubov, V.I. Veksler, M.G. Meshcheryakov, B.M. Pontecorvo, G.N. Flerov, I.M. Frank, V.P. Dzhelepov, A.M. Baldin, and more.
The Institute is made up by the following seven Laboratories (each of them can be compared to a whole research institute):
- Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics (BLTP)
- Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics (FLNP)
- Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear reactions (FLNR)
- Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems (DLNP)
- Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physicses (VBLHEP)
- Laboratory of Information Technologies (LIT)
- Laboratory of Radiation Biology (LRB)
So, let's see why JINR is an excellent place for starting a successful research career. JINR has the following advantages:
- Opportunity for students to participate in the world's most advanced research
- Wide range of the research fields
- JINR authorities being interested in attracting the talented youth to the Institute
- Outstandingly highly competent supervision of the students
- Opportunity for students to participate in international collaborations
- Additional education programmes
- Opportunity for the students to enter the JINR postgraduate programmes
One more argument for choosing JINR is the special attractiveness of Dubna – the city where JINR is based. Dubna is located on the banks of the Volga river and is comfortably fitted into a pleasant landscape made up of forests, fields, and some rivers. Dubna easily makes one disposed to different sport and outdoor activities.
Perhaps, these are reasons behind hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students of tens of universities in Russia and abroad attending programmes at the JINR Laboratories each year. You can be among them!